Monday, July 27, 2015

Writer Problems: Hesitating to Drop the F-Bomb

Let's face it, there are certain things you will probably never hear a sexy, badass, male lead character say--things like:
"Dag nabit!"
"Holy malarkey"
"Jumpin' Jehosaphat!"

No, chances are, if you are reading a dramatic tale where a male (or the female, for that matter) is royally pissed off about something, chance are in our day and age in particular, they are likely going to drop the F-bomb--or to quote one of my favorite Christmas movies "the F dash, dash, dash word."

But as a goody-two-shoes, it is extremely difficult for me to say, or even type, that word. Why? Visions of my sweet aunt who has probably never even used the word crap before cross my mind. I see her sitting in a rocking chair, an afghan over her lap, deciding to finally see what it is her precious, innocent niece has been up to with her writing, and a few seconds later she is passed out on the floor, my use of the F word sending her heart into overload. Yes, in my mind, using the F word will kill my loved ones!
What is your opinion on swearing in books?

I know it's ridiculous and absurd. And so with this book, Repercussion, I'm taking the plunge. I'm using it--Aaron will say the F word if it is the last thing he does! (I bet you're hoping it's not the last thing he does, but remember, main characters die in this book, too, so....)

Now, don't worry. The entire book is not laced with curse words. It's fairly similar to my other books as far as swearing is concerned, and I vow to only include the F word once, because in my opinion, one can generally think of a more creative way to express one's self. (Unless one just happens to be dying....)

Fellow authors, what are your feelings about using the F word or curse words in general? Am I unique with my hang up?
Readers, how much cussing is too much? I'd love to hear from you.

And remember, if you pre-order Repercussion, it's only 99 cents and all proceeds go to help the Whitley family with medical expenses for their sweet daughter's kidney surgery. You can read more about Sophie Whitley here.

No comments:

Post a Comment