Thursday, July 16, 2015

Why It's Never Easy to Kill, But Writers Do It Anyway

I guess I can honestly only speak for myself, but I've been killing people for years--characters, that is--and I always have a good reason for it. It's usually not easy, but it's always well- thought out and purposeful.
Don't fear the reaper.

I wrote my first book when I was fifteen. It has yet to be published because I can only imagine what sort of a train wreck it truly is, but I killed off an important character in that one. Not a lot of people have read it, but all of them were floored that I'd killed him--especially my high school lit teacher.
I've published four fiction texts in the last eleven months and am working on my fifth.  Every single one of them loses a character I had grown attached to. Why? Because if I am attached to these people, hopefully the reader is, too. For me, writing is about evoking emotions. Nothing quite gets a reader invested like making them love someone and then snuffing out the light from a character they love the most.
That being said, I have yet to kill a main character.
Perhaps, the fact that I have personally lost so many supporting characters in my own life plays into the reality I am trying to establish for my main characters. People die--it sucks--but it happens. If it happens in life, it must happen in books.
I know some readers hate books where important characters die. Who hasn't cried over Beth in Little Women? I hope the deaths that occur in my works are meaningful enough that, by the end of the book, the reader is saying. "I hate that so-and-so died, but if s/he hadn't then... wouldn't have happened."
Death in books is a lot easier to explain than death in real life.
Tonight, I killed a character I absolutely love. Based on a real-life person I also have an affinity for, it was one of the toughest scenes I've ever written. But it had a purpose and I think this demise will make my story stronger and more interesting in the end.
Writers--have you ever killed someone off?
Readers--what do you think about the death sentence for fictional characters?
Please leave a comment and look for The Clandestine Saga Book Three: Repercussion soon.
Follow me on Twitter @authoridjohnson

1 comment:

  1. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete