Tuesday, April 11, 2017

An Unreliable Witness—Genevieve of Kindle Scout Nominated Beneath the Inconstant Moon

Beneath the Inconstant Moon is a novel set in 1840s Baltimore. It primarily tells the story of one young woman, Genevieve Cawley, and how she struggles to overcome the insurmountable loss of her true love, Spencer. More than a romance story, “Moon” provides a look into the psyche of a woman who is teetering on the edge of madness and those who care enough about her to pull her back out of the abyss. It also reveals the darker side of Victorian era treatment for insanity and hysteria and takes the reader on a heart-wrenching journey through the world of medical treatment options of the past.
 
Nominate now on Kindle Scout! Click here.
When we first meet Genevieve, she is so broken she isn’t even certain of her own name.  She is confused by the people around her, where she is, and what she is doing. All she knows for sure is that she is waiting for the return of her true love, Spencer.


“But you see,” she began, sitting up a bit, “you always call me that—Mrs. Edwards--and that’s not my name either.”

We get a glimpse back into Genevieve’s memories when the story goes back from 1846 to 1844, and we can instantly see how dependent she has become on Spencer to keep her anchored to the world around here.

Here she was now melting into the moonbeams, forgetting herself entirely, Spencer filling her universe and causing her to lose track of anything and everything else.

But we also learn that Genevieve is a fighter, and when her parents urge her to forget about Spencer and move on, she refuses. It is only when she finds out she is carrying Spencer’s child and that her father may lose his business if she does not sacrifice herself by marrying Isaac Edwards that Genevieve accepts that sometimes our choices are really not our own.
 
Ginny is devastated when Spencer is lost at sea.

“Mr. Edwards is a good man. Give him the opportunity to woo you, Genevieve. You’ll see. He may not be your first choice, but he is likely the best—perhaps your only—remaining choice.”
                                        Clara Cawley, Genevieve’s mother

Even though everyone else believes Spencer will never return from his trip to the Caribbean, Genevieve never gives up hope. As she sits by the window, day after day, watching for his ship to come in, she remembers how they first met one day while walking on the beach.


“I felt that he had come into my life for a reason, and while he was passing next to us, it was as if the universe was in full alignment, but as he drew behind me, and I walked out of his proximity, everything came crumbling apart.”

As the years go by, Genevieve never gives up hope that Spencer will return to her, though her grip on reality has began to wane.


“Our love story began beneath the moonbeams, and he promised to return to me from this very voyage sitting alone beneath the same silvery light. I have no reason to doubt that Spencer will make his way home one day—soon. I can only assume that the reason for his delay is because of that same shining orb, that it isn’t Spencer who has been dishonest, but it is the moon who should hold blame. And so, even as I feel the glow above me, even as it illuminates your pretty face, my friend, I know that it is not to be trusted, that the moon is a fraud, and I expect my husband to return to me soon not because of the waning moon, but in spite of it.”

How can she trust the moon when it has betrayed her?


Genevieve, whose friends throughout the novel refer to her as Ginny (those who do not cannot be trusted!) was a complex character to write. Not only did I have to make her likable despite her misgivings, I had to make her authentic.  She could not be sensationalized or comical or else she would be difficult to empathize with.  It is her sweet nature and kind spirit that first draws in the reader, and one cannot help but begin to sympathize with her plight.  Though she is not as physically strong as many of the other female characters I have written about, she does not break easily, and she certainly reaches heroine status by the end of the novel.

She is not completely reliable, however. That was the essential element of Ginny Cawley that this story relied upon. As a reader, you mustn’t believe much of what Ms. Cawley says, or does, or even thinks. It is this driving feature of “Moon” that compels the reader to keep moving forward. What is really happening? Who are these people? Where are they? And perhaps most importantly of all, will we ever really know the true Ginny Cawley?


If you like suspense novels with unreliable main characters, such as The Girl on the Train, then you will certainly like Beneath the Inconstant Moon. Visit my Kindle Scout page here and nominate “Moon.” If my book is chosen for publication by Kindle Press, you will get a free copy. If not, you will be notified once it is available for purchase. You can also read the first 5000 words on Kindle Scout.

2 comments:

  1. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete