Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Dreams that Inspired Deck of Cards

I have always had extremely vivid dreams. Perhaps that is one of the reasons I like to sleep so much.  Often, my dreams seem real and I remember them long after I awake. Such was the case with the two dreams that inspired DOC.
The first one I had several years ago but I can still remember it very well. I was a princess, searching for her prince in a dungeon far below my father's castle.  He had locked my true love away over a misunderstanding and I had to traverse the dark and dangerous pathways, lined with cells full of criminals, until I reached an expansive chamber where a large group of the captives were congregated. I had to locate the prince and find a way to save him.
John Henry Fuseli's work The Shephard's Dream

This dream inspired two separate events in DOC. The first one is fairly obvious.  Katey is searching for Matthew and is instrumental in formulating his escape plan.  The other scene comes later in the book and, while I don't want to give it away to those who haven't read that far yet, it involves Katey and Caleb.  I find that, when I have time to ponder the events in my dreams, they can inspire my writing in many ways.
The second dream was more recent. I had it just a few months before I started writing DOC and it was the driving force behind actually sitting down and getting the story written. I dreamt that I was a princess (see the theme here?) and someone was chasing me in the woods.  I knew that something terrible had happened but I wasn't sure what.  Then, I time-jumped to being forced to marry a man I didn't love while my chosen prince was on his way to rescue me.  If you've read the book then you can clearly see how this dream inspired DOC.  Again, there were definitely some changes but you can see the similarities.
My question for you is, are your dreams vivid and memorable? If so, have you ever had one inspire you to write? I would love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete